Fast Food Options for People on Keto Diet
A Keto diet can be an excellent way to lose weight and enjoy a healthier life. However, this type of diet is somewhat restrictive, which makes dining out a little difficult. However, a creative approach can help you enjoy fast food restaurants without breaking dieting rules.
Let’s take a closer look at what you can eat when going out to popular fast food joints. Remember, it’s not impolite or strange to ask for a special way to prepare your food. Restaurant workers are always understanding about dietary restrictions. They can even help you make the right choice.
Keto Fast Food in McDonald’s
When you enter this popular fast food restaurant, burgers and fries aren’t the only options. You can either choose keto-friendly foods or ask the workers to adjust a popular menu item to suit your needs. Here is what you can eat:
- Asian Chicken Sandwich (without the bun) – 2 grams of carbs
- Big breakfast (without the biscuit and hash brown) – 2 grams of carbs
- Sausage, Egg, and Cheese McMuffin (forget the muffin) – 2 grams of carbs
- Bacon egg and cheese biscuit (ask to leave the biscuit out) – 4 grams of carbs
- Double cheeseburger (without the bun) – 4 grams of carbs
- Big Mac Sandwich (without the bun) – 5 grams of carbs
- Pico Guacamole Sandwich (without the bun) – 9 grams of protein
- Bacon Ranch Grilled Chicken Salad with guacamole – 10 grams of carbs
- Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese (no bun) – 10 grams of carbs
As you can see, Mcdonald's offers an impressive variety of food for people on the keto diet. However, you have to keep in mind that even without bread, the calorie content of these foods is very high.
For example, keto-friendly Big Breakfast has 340 calories. Even though the uncut Big Breakfast has twice as many, 340 calories are still a lot.
Keto Fast Food in Subway
Subway positions itself as a healthy fast food option. In reality, the number of calories in its sandwiches is quite high. Thankfully, those who are on a keto diet can remove the main source of calories from these sandwiches, without losing their taste.
Here is what you can try when visiting Subway the next time:
- Black Forest Ham Salad – 8 grams of carbs
- Buffalo Chicken Salad – 12 grams of carbs
- Double chicken chopped salad – 10 grams of carbs
- Chicken and Bacon Ranch Salad – 13 grams of carbs
- Italian B.M.T. Salad – 8 grams of carbs
- Steak and Cheese Salad – 8 grams of carbs
If you want Subway’s breakfast, you need to lose the flatbread. All breakfast options have it. However, once you ask to remove the bread, you end up having a healthy breakfast with less than five grams of carbs per meal.
Ideally, you shouldn’t be drinking any of the soft drinks offered by Subway and other fast food restaurants. Keep in mind that just one can of coke (around 375 ml) contains a whopping 39.8 grams of carbohydrates. That’s not a good idea for a keto diet.
Wendy’s and Keto Diet
If you are a big fan of Wendy’s, your keto diet doesn’t have to interfere with your plans to eat out. Just like any other fast food joint, this restaurant has various options for people on the keto diet.
Consider preparing in advance in order not to waste time checking the nutrition information at the restaurant. Leave buns, tortillas, French fries, and any bread out of your menu.
- Junior Cheeseburger - 1 gram of carbs
- Double Stack – 2 grams of carbs
- Son of Baconator – 3 grams of carbs
- Junior Bacon Cheeseburger – 3 grams of carbs
- Dave’s Single Sandwich (lose the bun) – 6 grams of carbs
- Dave’s Double Sandwich (forget about the bread) – 7 grams of carbs
- Dave’s Triple Sandwich (no bun included) – 8 grams of carbs
Consider eating keto fast food breakfast at Wendy’s. Some of the options are:
- Sausage Egg and Cheese – 3 grams of carbs
- Bacon Egg and Cheese – 3 grams of carbs
- Breakfast Baconator (no bun) – 6 grams of carbs
Wendy’s is a great place to munch on tasty stuff without overdoing the carbs. Make sure to watch your calories too.
Kentucky Fried Chicken and Keto Options
The tasty KFC chicken is famous for its crispy crust. Unfortunately, this crust contains a lot of carbohydrates. If you need to go to KFC, you can take advantage of a few keto-friendly options:
- Kentucky Grilled Chicken Breast – 0 carbs
- Kentucky Grilled Chicken Drumstick – 0 carbs
- Kentucky Grilled Chicken Thigh – 0 carbs
- Small Caesar Salad – 2 grams of carbs
- Crispy Colonel’s Sandwich – 8 grams of carbs
You don’t have to forget about fast food on the keto diet. However, you still need to be careful in order not to binge on calories. Otherwise, it may be hard to reach the weight loss goals.
Keto Fast Food Hacks
When you visit fast food joints, you don’t always have to look at the above list of options. You just need to follow simple rules:
Always Opt for Salads
The majority of fast food restaurants offer salads instead of burgers and sandwiches. Essentially, you get all the same stuff but without the bread. Even if these salads aren’t the most visible items on the menu, they are probably there. Just ask.
Beware of the Sauces
Sauces are rarely keto-friendly. Honey mustard, sweet, and BBQ sauces most definitely aren’t. They contain a lot of carbs that can hurt your keto efforts. Ignore dressings and stick with olive oil. It can make any salad much tastier and healthier than carb-packed sources.
Check Nutrition Info
Nutrition information is always available. Take the time to check the nutrition details before trying something new. Many fast food joints have seasonal foods or special offers that you may not know anything about. You can either ignore them altogether or read up on the carb content.
Eating fast food on a keto diet isn’t taboo. Everyone wants to treat themselves to something tasty every once in a while. All you need to do in order not to disrupt your diet is watch the carb content. If something feels “not keto,” don’t eat it.
Avoid buns, French fries, and any breading in your fast food meals. You may be surprised with how much you can still eat.